Sunday 3 February 2013

Allo Methi & Islamabad winters


Methi or Fenugreek grows in sub-continent in abundance and hence is part of daily diet during winter season. It is dried and used year around in cooking. It is sold in the super markets under the name “Kasuri Methi” and usually one will find a box of this in every kitchen in Pakistan. 

My love for Potato Fenugreek Masala - Allo Methi did not start while growing up in Pakistan. I don’t remember eating it in my parent’s house. My mother never cooked it. The only time she used Fresh Methi was while making traditional spinach. Methi was used as an additional ingredient to extenuate the flavor of spinach. My stay in London introduced me to this very delightful Allo Methi…and oh boy this love just continues to grow.


On my recent winter trip to Islamabad- Pakistan my mother in law showed me her method of making it. Her technique led to a better tasting final product. I am sharing her recipe. This can be eaten with Fresh Chappati - Flat bread or a Paratha - Buttered flat bread.

Ingredients:

Fresh Methi – 1 kg (Use green leaves. Only use stalks if they are very tender)
Potatoes – 1 kg Diced in medium size
Tomatoes – 2-3 medium sized (chopped)
Onions – 2 medium sized (chopped)
Ginger – 1 tsp. (cut in small pieces)
Garlic – 5-6 cloves (cut in small pieces)
Coriander – half cup (optional)
Oil – 5 tbsp.
Salt – to taste
Turmeric – ½ tsp.
Red chilli powder – ¾ tsp (adjust if you want it spicy)


Method:


  1. To prepare Methi , take the leaves off the stalks. Only use stalks if they are very tender. Cut the leaves and the stalks in small size.
  2. Boil the methi is 3-4 cups of water. Methi has a slightly bitter taste. Boiling it eradicates its bitterness. Boil is for 10-12 mins and then stain it. Drain the liquid.
  3. In a pan add onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, salt, chili powder and turmeric. Add 2 glasses of water and let this cook and simmer over medium heat till everything becomes mashed. The liquid should reduce to less than half.
  4. Now add the Methi and diced potatoes. Mix it. Also add Oil and now cook it on medium to low heat till the potatoes are cooked and the liquid dries completely. You will be able to see oil at the corners of the pan.













5 comments:

  1. mmmmm aloo methi tau ban gaee, sardi kahan say aye gi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manila main tu Methi bhee nahin miltee :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very detailed and easy to follow recipes at Gawal Mandi (an attractive blog name that makes one's mouth water of Lahori style foods).

    I maintain a blog Hobby Shobbys where I share hobbies from around the world including cooking. Can I share these recipes there duly attributed to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The following is found 100 % most suitable. Every one of small-scale aspects are written and wide range of past recognizing. I want it plenty. Online Mutton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude.. I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. Its amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often. - organic rice suppliers This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post.

    ReplyDelete